Chicken, leek and Cheddar bake
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This chicken, leek and Cheddar bake recipe is the perfect midweek chicken bake for the family. It's easy to make and ready in half an hour. This delicious recipe serves 4 people and will take about 35 mins to rustle up. Packed with plenty of flavour, thanks to the buttery Cheddar cheese sauce and tangy leeks. This recipe uses chicken breasts but you could use other cuts of chicken too including thigh or wings to cut the cost down. Serve this hearty bake with new potatoes or on a bed of freshly cooked pasta. This bake is a great money saving meal the whole family can enjoy. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. We'd recommend reheating thoroughly before serving again. Make sure the chicken and sauce is piping hot.
The sauce in this recipe would work well with other meats too - try beef or pork instead.
- 1tbsp oil
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 25g butter
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 125g Cheddar cheese, grated
- To make this chicken breast recipe, heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the chicken for 5 mins. Add the leeks and fry for 10 mins, covered.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 min. Off the heat, gradually whisk in the milk then bring to the boil until thickened, stirring. Season and add half the cheese and stir until melted.
- Place the chicken in a heatproof serving dish and pour over the cheese sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place under a preheated grill for 2-3 mins until golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.