Paul Bloxham's simple fish and chips
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
TV chef Paul Bloxham's homemade fish and chips recipe is easy, quick and tasty. And it's baked so it's healthier than the local chippie!
- 400g floury potatoes such as Maris Piper, King Edward and Desiree
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 200g skin-on white fish i.e. cod or haddock fillets
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1cm slices and then into chips. Place in a large bowl or plastic bag and add the oil, toss well to coat. Transfer to a large non-stick baking tray and bake for 30-35 mins.
- Meanwhile, dip the fish in the egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Add to the baking tray with the chips for the last 20-25 mins.
- Season with vinegar and a sprinkling of salt and twist of black pepper.
Paul's: 'Try also serving your chips with pollock, bream, snapper or sole to make a tasty and eco alternative.'