James Martin's cottage pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This cottage pie from James Martin is comfort food at its best. Using tinned ingredients means it's quick, easy and keeps your kitchen mess-free.
- 400g can vegetable hot pot/stew
- 300g can carrots, drained
- 250g minced beef
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2tsp whole grain mustard
- 1tbsp milk A knob of butter
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1tbsp oil
The mustard in this recipe will spice up your mash, but if you're not to keen on mustard try replacing it with horseradish sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the minced beef and cook until browned. Add the vegetable hot pot and carrots. Simmer for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the two types of potatoes. Simmer for 15 mins or until tender. Drain, return to the pan and mash with the mustard, milk and butter.
- When the mince is cooked, check the seasoning and spoon into an ovenproof dish. Spread the mashed potato over the meat and sprinkle with the cheese. Place under a preheated grill for 5-10 mins or until the top is beginning to turn brown.
Fancy making a traditional cottage pie? Try our classic cottage pie recipe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 496(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.