- 6 sausages
- 3 rashers smoked streaky bacon
For the batter:
- 100g (3½oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- Six-hole non-stick muffin tray
Woman's Weekly's Sue McMahon says these popovers also work well in silicon muffin trays, which don't need greasing before use. You'll find the popovers will lift out of them very easily, without sticking.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C.
- Cut each sausage into 3 and put 3 pieces in each hole in the muffin tray. Snip the bacon into pieces and place on top of the sausages. Place the tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 10-15 mins, or until the sausages start to turn a golden-brown colour.
- Meanwhile, to make the batter, tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt. Whisk together the egg, milk and 150ml (¼ pint) water. Then whisk this into the flour to give a smooth batter.
- When the sausages are brown, working quickly, pour some batter into each hole, only having the oven door open for a very short time, so that the oven doesn't drop too much in temperature. Bake the popovers for about 20-30 mins, or until they have risen and the batter is crisp. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. (Not suitable for freezing.)
Note: Calorie and fat values are for the maximum number of servings stated.Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: www.frankthephotographer.com. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 160(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.