Lower-calorie beef burgers
- 450g pack extra-lean minced beef (less than 5% fat)
- 1 medium carrot, about 100g (3½ oz), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 white muffins
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, thickly sliced
- A few lettuce leaves
- 6 small gherkins, halved
- Bamboo skewers
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon recommends adding the carrot and onion to the burger helps to keep the meat moist
- Mix the minced beef, grated carrot and onion, chopped parsley, seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Shape the mixture into 6 burgers. Chill for at least 10 mins, or longer if you like.
- Set the grill/griddle to medium. Split each muffin in half and place under the grill or on the griddle to toast them lightly on both sides.
- Grill the burgers for 3-4 mins on each side, until cooked through.
- Put a slice of tomato on 6 of the muffin halves, then arrange a few lettuce leaves on top, and then a burger. Place the other half of the muffin on top. Hold each burger together with a bamboo skewer, which has a halved gherkin on it.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 242(kcal)
- Fat 8.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.