Leek and cheese crumble
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious leek and cheese crumble with mustard, hazelnuts and parsley is easy to make and a great vegetarian dish.
- 500g leeks (trimmed)
- 400ml light stock
- 100ml single cream
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 100g breadcrumbs (white)
- 30g skinned hazelnuts
- 2tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- 125g vegetarian Caerphilly, Lancashire or Cheshire cheese, finely grated or crumbled
Cheryl Payne, 32, from Co. Durham says when you're cooking with low-fat cheese, put a little butter or oil on to get it to melt properly
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Slice the leeks into thick circles (no larger than 2cm) and place in a large saucepan with the stock, cream and mustard. Cook gently for 15 mins until starting to soften.
- Transfer to a ceramic baking dish, saving 2 or 3 tbsp of the stock mixture.
- Place the breadcrumbs, nuts and parsley in a food processor and whizz together until finely chopped.
- Scatter the crumble and cheese over the leeks and drizzle the remaining stock mixture over the top. Bake for 10-15 mins until starting to turn crisp and golden. If necessary, finish under the grill.
© The Vegetarian Society - Recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school www.vegsoc.org