Rice Krispie chicken nuggets
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You won't want shop-bought nuggets after trying 'foodie godmother' Annabel Karmel's tasty recipe.
- 200 g (7oz) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) milk, plus
- 1tbsp for dipping
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 45g (1½ oz) Rice Krispies
- 15g (½ oz) mature Cheddar, finely grated
- 1tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 4tbsp flour
- 3-4tbsp sunflower oil, for frying
- Salt and black pepper, to season
Put the uncooked, coated chicken on a baking sheet lined with cling film. Cover with more cling film, freeze until solid then transfer to a freezer bag. Cook direct from frozen, adding 1 min of extra cooking time for frying and 3-4 mins for baking. Reheating is not recommended.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1.5 cm (½in) cubes and put in a bowl. Mix together the milk, garlic, thyme, lemon juice, ¼ tsp salt and some black pepper (the mixture will separate a little from the lemon juice but this is OK), and pour over the chicken. Cover, and marinate in the fridge for 4 hrs or overnight. (You can skip the marinating stage if you don't have time, but it does add a delicious flavour to the chicken).
- Put the Rice Krispies in a food processor and whiz until reduced to fine crumbs. Add the cheeses plus salt and pepper to taste, and whiz to combine. Transfer to a large plate.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl with the tablespoon of milk. Mix the flour with a little salt and pepper, and spread out on a large plate.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, shaking off any excess. Toss in the seasoned flour then dip in the egg and roll in the Rice Krispie coating.
- Put the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Fry the nuggets for 2-3 mins each side, until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and cool slightly before serving.
- Alternatively, use the oven method. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6/fan 180ºC. Reduce the oil to 2tbsp. Add 1tbsp to the Rice Krispie crumbs with the cheese and whiz to combine evenly (you may need to stop and stir a couple of times). Grease a baking sheet with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Coat the chicken (as above) and put on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 mins, until cooked through, turning over halfway.
Freezing tips: Put the uncooked, coated chicken on a baking sheet lined with cling film. Cover with more cling film, freeze until solid then transfer to a freezer bag. Cook direct from frozen, adding 1 min of extra cooking time for frying and 3-4 mins for baking. Reheating is not recommended.