Chicken and rice hotpot
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 chicken drumsticks or thighs (or two of each)
- 175g (6oz) long-grain rice
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 250g (8oz) carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says they used a pack of 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 thighs and doubled the ingredients. The chicken was only £3.35 for all of it, so it's an economical meal
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Fry it gently for 3 mins, then add the chicken drumsticks or thighs, and fry them until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 min, stirring continuously. Stir in the chicken stock, carrots, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture gently for 35-40 mins, or until the chicken is tender. Serve with a mixed salad, if liked. (Not suitable for freezing).
Note: Calorie and fat values are for the maximum number of servings stated.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 705(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 3.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.