Lesley Water's apple and cheese scone loaf
Skill level: Easy peasy
Lesley Water's tasty scone wedges are ideal for hampers, lunchboxes, afternoon snacks, or served warm with your favourite soup.
- 115g(4oz) wholemeal flour
- 115g (4oz) plain white flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 85g (3oz) Shreddies, crumbled
- 2 Cox's apples, halved, cored and chopped
- 75g (2¾ oz) extra mature cheddar, finely grated
- 150ml (¼ pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 1 large egg
- 2tbsp wholegrain mustard
Top scone tips: Mix wet and dry ingredients using a flat bladed knife. Don't over handle the dough as it could make your scones tough and rubbery. And don't use too much flour to roll your dough out onto.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
- Place the flours, baking powder and crumbled Shreddies in a large bowl and mix together well. Stir in the apples and ¾ of the cheese.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, egg and mustard. Add this to the dry ingredients and gently combine to form a sticky dough.
- Scrape the dough out onto the middle of a lightly floured non-stick baking tray. With lightly floured hands, pat out the dough to an approximate 20cm/8in round. Lightly flour the top and mark the round of dough into 8 triangles with a knife, taking care not to cut all the way through the dough.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 25 mins. Best served warm and eaten on the same day.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 210(kcal)
- Fat 5.4g
- Saturates 2.6g
- Sugars 6.0g
- Salt 0.9g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.