Skill level: Easy peasy
Gluten-free scones are perfect for anyone who is gluten intolerant, or simply fancy trying something a little different. Everyone loves a cup of afternoon tea with a delicious scone and jam, so give it a go today for a real treat! If you find it tricky rolling out crumbly gluten-free flour mixture, use an ice-cream scoop!
Woman's Weekly cooker editor Sue McMahon says: The scones can also be wrapped in a freezer bag and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the scones to defrost for a few hours and then refresh them in a hot oven before serving.
- 250g (8oz) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 50g (1¾ oz) butter
- 50g (1¾ oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 1-2tbsp granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Raspberry jam and clotted cream, to serve
- Baking sheet, lined with baking parchment
- Ice-cream scoop
- Set the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat together the egg and milk. Add this to the flour mixture and beat to give a smooth consistency.
- Scoop 7-9 mounds of the mixture on to the lined baking sheet with ice-cream scoop. Brush some egg over the top of each and sprinkle over some granulated sugar.
- Bake the scones in the centre of the oven for 15-18 mins or until they are a light-golden colour. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and slide the scones on to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve scones warm or cold, with jam and clotted cream.
Extra info: We've used Doves Farm gluten-free plain and self-raising flours, available from most supermarkets and specialist health food shops.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 200(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.