Sea bass with beetroot rosti
For the rosti
- 700g (1½lb) large floury potatoes (such as King Edward's)
- 250g (8oz) fresh beetroot, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp olive oil
For the fish
- 1tbsp freshly grated root ginger
- 6 sea bass fillets
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1tbsp olive oil
For the salad
- 2 small oranges, peeled, segmented, juice collected
- 2 bunches watercress, washed and trimmed
- About 30g (1oz) macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 20cm (8in) flan ring
Be careful when adding the grated potatoes to the hot oil as it can spatter.
- To make the rosti: Put the whole, unpeeled potatoes into a pan of boiling water and for cook about 10 mins, depending on their size, until they are just beginning to feel tender. Cool, peel and coarsely grate into a large bowl. Grate the beetroot on to kitchen paper and pat it dry, then add to the potato and season well.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the oil and put in an oiled 20cm (8in) flan ring. Spread the rosti mixture into the ring and cook for 10 mins over a medium heat; put a plate or board on top, turn the pan over then slide the rosti back into the pan and cook for 10 minutes on the other side.
- Meanwhile, rub ginger over the fish and sprinkle with lime juice and oil. Just before serving, cook the fish in batches on a griddle pan - a few minutes each side.
- Cut the rosti into 6 wedges. Serve each piece with a fillet of sea bass and arrange some orange segments and watercress on each plate. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and drizzle with a dressing made with the orange juice and a little oil. (Not suitable for freezing).
Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: David Jordan. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 328(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.