Hairy Bikers' Shropshire Fidget Pie
A hearty, traditional British pie made with gammon, cooking apples, onions and potatoes
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 Slices Sweetcure gammon, de-rinded and cut into strips
- 40g butter (1 1/2 oz)
- 2 tspn brown sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tspn ground nutmeg
- 2 tspn sage or a small bunch of chopped fresh sage
- 150 ml pork or vegetable stock (5 fl oz)
- 225g shortcrust pastry (8 oz)
- Milk or beaten egg, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Lightly fry the potatoes, onions and apples in the butter until just golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep hot.
- Place the gammon in the pan and fry lightly in the remaining fat.
- Layer the gammon and the potatoes, onions and apples in a 1 litre (1 1/2 - 2 pint) pie dish, seasoning with sugar, salt, pepper, sage and nutmeg. Pour on the stock.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and cover the pie, trimming the edges. Make a steam hole and decorate with the trimmings. Brush with milk or egg.
- Bake for 30 mins, then reduce the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas 3 for a further 10-15 mins or until the pie is golden brown.