Creamy carrot and parsnip soup
Cooking time:(may need 10 mins more)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Parsnip soup is always a winner and this delicious creamy carrot and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make, simple and healthy too. This recipe takes around 40 mins to make and serves 4 people. It's a quick recipe that is perfect for keeping you warm in the winter months. Its so easy that you can make it in just three simple steps. This recipe is ideal for using up leftovers from your Sunday roast dinner, so it helps you use up vegetables that perhaps you would otherwise throw in the bin and saves you money too. If you use already cooked root veg, you don't need to soften them. Just add with stock and simmer to make the soup. Because it packs so many veg, this parsnip soup recipe is great to get the kids eating more vegetables and making sure they hit their five-a-day even the fussy eaters will want to a bowl of this parsnip soup because it looks so yummy! Why not serve with crusty bread, parsnips crisps or homemade croutons for an extra crunch? This parsnip and carrot soup is a real winter warmer and any leftovers can be stored in a Tupperware in the fridge for up to 2 days.
The parsnip soup may be frozen without the single cream. Pack the soup into a suitable container and freeze it for up to 3 months. Reheat the parsnip soup and stir in the cream just before serving.
- 4tbsp butter, softened
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 450g (15oz) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 level tbsp freshly grated root ginger
- 1 level tsp finely grated orange rind
- 600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
- 125ml (4fl oz) single cream
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Sprigs of fresh coriander, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 mins, until slightly softened. Add the carrots and parsnips. Cover the pan until the vegetables have softened a little. Stir in the ginger, orange rind and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 30-35 mins, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 mins.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and whizz until smooth. Return the soup to the rinsed-out saucepan, stir in the cream, and season well with salt and pepper. Warm through gently over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle pepper over and garnish your creamy carrot and parsnip soup with a sprig of coriander.
More soup recipes
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 307(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.