Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Learn how to make the perfect pecan brownies with our ultimate brownie recipe. Not only does our recipe produce deliciously gooey brownies - you can also follow along with our video to see exactly how to make them. Woman's Weekly's Cookery Editor Sue McMahon has tried and tested this classic recipe and she shows you how to create the chocolaty delights in the comfort of your own home
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: If you want to make these brownies for someone with a nut allergy, omit the pecans and use the equivalent weight of raisins.
- 200g bar plain chocolate
- 250g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 4 medium eggs
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 300g (10oz) caster sugar
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 200g (7oz) pecan or Brazil nuts, roughly chopped
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 28 x 18cm (11 x 7in) rectangular tin, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to moderately hot or 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5
- Melt the chocolate and leave it to cool, but not re-set.
- Beat together the butter, chocolate and vanilla extract. Lightly beat together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is slightly foamy, but is not too thick. Fold the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture then fold in the sifted flour. Finally fold in the chopped nuts. Spoon the mixture into the lined cake tin and level the surface. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes, until just set to the touch in the centre. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar. Cut into squares to serve.
- To freeze: make up to the stage of cooling and then wrap in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Remove from the freezer and allow to defrost and dust with icing sugar just before serving.
To freeze: Make up to the stage of cooling and then wrap in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Remove from the freezer and allow to defrost and dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.