Butternut squash pie
Celebrity chef Simon Rimmer's butternut squash pie is packed with the delicious flavours of white wine, cumin, garlic and basil.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 200g cubed butternut squash, roasted
- 2 leeks, cut into large pieces
- 200g chopped cavolo nero or cabbage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 440g tin of chopped tomatoes
- A splash of white wine
- Seasoning - cumin, cinnamon, coriander
- Salt and pepper
For the topping
- 150g flour
- Pinch of salt
- 150g almond, pecan and raisin e.g. Nature's Pleasure
- 150ml olive oil
- Bunch of basil
- Juice half lemon
How to buy squash: if you can push a fingernail into the rind, it means it's immature and won't be so tasty or sweet. The rind should be firm and tan or beige coloured (no green tinges).
- Fry the onion and garlic until softm then add the leeks and cavolo nero/cabbafe and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add the butternut squash, tomatoes, wine, seasoning and cook for 5 mins, then divide between the 4 individual dishes.
- To make the topping, simply rub it all together, spoon on top and bake at 200°c for 25 mis until crisp and golden.
- Blend the oil, basil and lemon until smooth and spoon over the crumble when piping hot.