Chicken with pesto and Parmesan
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
For a great main course for family or friends that's easy to make and not too expensive, try this delicious chicken recipe with peppers, carrots and pesto.
- 75g (3oz) Parmesan cheese
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4tsp green pesto sauce
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) baby carrots, halved
- 2 peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 large red onion, sliced into thin wedges
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook's tip: Use red pesto sauce or sun-dried tomato puree as an alternative to green pesto.
- To make this chicken breast recipe, grate the Parmesan cheese and set to one side. Preheat the oven to 190°C (fan oven 170°C, gas mark 5).
- Using a sharp knife, slice a pocket into each chicken breast and open it up. Spread 1tsp of pesto sauce into each one, and share the Parmesan between them. Top with the basil leaves, then close the pockets and secure with cocktail sticks.
- Spoon 2tbsp of the olive oil into a roasting pan and add all the vegetables, tossing them to coat. Season with a little salt and black pepper to taste.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle the remaining olive oil over them, and transfer to the oven. Roast for 25-30 mins, until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Serve immediately.