Cooking time:(may need 2 more mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
If you think there's no better combo than chocolate and orange, you'll love these deliciously indulgent jaffa cupcakes.
- 165g(5¾ oz) self-raising flour
- 30g (1oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 220g (7¾ oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 170ml (5½ fl oz) milk
- 125g (4½ oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 1tbsp finely grated orange zest
- Orange buttercream
- 250g (9oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 60g (2¼ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2tbsp orange juice
- Sweets to decorate
Cassandra Andrews, 63 from Inverness in the Highland suggests adding a bay leaf to your flour container to keep it fresh and free from moisture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4). Line 12 standard muffin holes with paper cases.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. Add the egg, milk, melted butter and orange zest and beat with electric beaters for 2 mins, or until well combined and smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 18-20 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the orange buttercream, place 125 g (4½ oz) of the icing sugar, the butter, zest and orange juice in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar and beat until the cream is thick.
- Decorate each cake with buttercream and sweets.