Kale and bacon broth
- 2tbspsunflower oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6-8 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 500g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) ham or vegetable stock
- 200g (7oz) kale, finely shredded
- Salt and ground black pepper
Freezing suggestions: The soup may be prepared up to the end of step 3, chilled and then frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the broth to defrost, reheat and bring to the boil, then finish as step 4.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic and bacon. Cook over a medium heat for 7-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients have started to turn a light golden colour.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 mins, stirring occasionally. Pour in the stock and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and then simmer the broth for about 15-20 mins, until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and use a potato masher to break up the potatoes, leaving them slightly chunky.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, then add the shredded kale to the pan and simmer for about 5 mins, until the kale is just tender. Season to taste and serve straight away.
Nutritional tip:Calorie and fat values are for the maximum number of servings statedFeature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Simon Pask. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 324(kcal)
- Fat 19.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.