- 195g (6½oz) caster sugar
- 150g (5oz) egg white (approximately 4-5 large
- egg whites)
- 150g (5oz) ground hazelnuts
- 30g (1oz) cornflour
- Raspberries and freshly whipped cream, to serve
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: The cold meringues may be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Set the oven to 120°C or gas mark ½.
- Tip 150g (5oz) caster sugar into a bowl and add the egg white. Whisk until the mixture is stiff .
- Mix together the remaining 45g (1½oz) caster sugar with the ground hazelnuts and cornflour and then gently fold this into the meringue mixture.
- Spoon large spoonfuls of the mixture on to the lined baking sheet(s) in whatever shape you prefer. Bake for about 1½ hrs in the centre of the oven, or until meringues feel firm, and sound hollow when tapped underneath. Turn off the oven, but leave the meringues in the oven so that they cool slowly.
- Serve meringues sandwiched together with raspberries and freshly whipped cream. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 119(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.