Spiced sultana loaf cake
- 175g(6oz) soft light brown sugar
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 275g (9oz) self-raising flour
- 1½ level tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 175g (6oz) sultanas
- 3 - 4tbsp milk
Claire Ling says: It's best made with light brown sugar, for the colour, but it's fine with dark brown sugar.
- Set the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Tip the sugar and butter into a bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. If the mixture looks like it's going to curdle, add a little flour when the last egg is added. Fold in the flour and mixed spice and cinnamon, incorporating it fully. Add the sultanas and enough of the milk to make the mixture a soft dropping consistency.
- Bake the loaf in the centre of the oven for 1 - 1¼ hrs or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven, turn it out on to a wire rack and leave it to cool completely. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 457(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.