Gluten-free chocolate roulade
IngredientsFor the roulade:
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/8tsp lemon juice
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) cocoa, sifted
- 15g (½oz) cornflour
- Icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling:
- 300ml carton double cream
- 2 level tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp brandy
If you have a gluten intolerance, then choosing the right foods is essential. Try our Gluten Free Diet
- Set the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- To make the roulade: Whisk the egg whites with the lemon juice until stiff. Whisk egg yolks and caster sugar until thick and creamy, add double-sifted cocoa and cornflour. Beat in one-third of the whisked egg whites into the cocoa mixture, then fold in the remaining whites.
- Bake the roulade in the centre of the oven for 7½ - 8 mins. When cool, turn out on to greaseproof paper dusted with icing sugar.
- To make the filling: Whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks, then whisk in the sugar, and add the brandy.
- Spread this mixture evenly over sponge, and roll up. Once rolled, wrap in foil and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- To serve, trim each end and dust with icing sugar. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 376(kcal)
- Fat 26.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.