Honeyed apple galette
- 375gpack ready-rolled puff pastry1 egg white, whisked
- 3 dessert apples (we used Jazz apples), peeled, cored, and each sliced into 16 wedges
- 15g (½oz) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp honey, for drizzling
- Greek yogurt or crème fraîche, to serve
For the filling:
- 45g (1½oz) unsalted butter
- 3tbsp ground almonds
- 3tbsp honey, try using Greek honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 90g (3oz) toasted flaked almonds (see Sue's tip, right)
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: To toast almonds, spread out on a tray and cook in the oven at Gas Mark 7 or 220°C for 3 mins. Or toss them in a frying pan.
- Set the oven to 220°C or gas mark 7.
- To make the filling: Soften the butter in a bowl and mix in the ground almonds, honey, egg yolk and flaked almonds.
- Unroll pastry on to a heavy baking sheet. Trim the edges to make them even. Mark a border 1cm (½in) in all the way round. Prick centre with a fork and brush with egg white.
- Spread the filling evenly inside the border. Lay the apple slices over the top. Brush lightly with the melted butter and bake for 15 mins.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°C or gas mark 6 and bake galette for a further 20-25 mins until golden. Take it out of the oven and drizzle with extra honey. Serve with crème fraîche or Greek yogurt. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 390(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.