Gary Rhodes' chicken and chorizo stew
Prep time:(may need 5 mins extra)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Top chef Gary Rhodes shows you how to make a speedy chicken stew in less than half-an-hour
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 175g (6oz) small chorizo sausages, sliced into 1cm (½) thick pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 400g (14oz) cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g (14oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered and deseeded
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of sugar
100-150ml (3½ - 5 oz) of passata can be added for a looser, richer sauce.
- Heat a deep frying pan or saucepan with a tablespoon of the olive oil. Quickly fry the chorizo until coloured and its oils have been released.
- Reduce the heat slightly, stir in the onion and cook for a few minutes until it begins to soften. Add the cannelini beans and tinned tomatoes, topping up with half a tin of water to loosen. Halve the tomato quarters and stir them into the stew, simmering gently for 10 to 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with slt and pepper. Heat a separate frying pan with the remaining olive oil. Fry the chicken for 6 to 7 mins until golden brown and firm to the touch. Spoon the chicken into the stew and season with salt, pepper and the sugar before serving.