Chicken and prawn jambalaya
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This quick family meal is so easy. Mix rice with chicken, prawns, veg and Cajun seasoning for a super-tasty dinner!
- 225g long grain rice or brown rice
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g stir-fry chicken strips or chunks
- 3 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2tsp Cajun seasoning, according to taste
- 1tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 150g pot of spicy pepperoni and tomato stir-in sauce
- 200g cooked peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen
If you can't find Cajun seasoning, use 1tsp of chilli powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper, or add according to taste.
- Cook the rice in plenty of boiling water until tender, for about 12 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and sauté the chicken for about 3-4 mins, until browned. Add the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 3 mins, until softened.
- Add the Cajun seasoning and thyme. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 mins.
- Drain the rice thoroughly, then add it to the frying pan with the stir-in sauce, stirring well to combine. Add the prawns and cook for another 2-3 mins, until thoroughly heated, then serve.
- Cool any leftovers quickly and keep covered and refrigerated. Use the next day - either thoroughly re-heated, or eaten cold for a packed lunch.