Ravinder Bhogal's spicy shepherd's pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
If the temperature's taken a nosedive, this shepherd's pie will warm you up with its mashed potato, extra spices and chilli.
- A generous glug of olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 500g (1lb 2oz) minced lamb
- 200ml (7fl oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 2.5cm/1in fresh root ginger
- 2 green chillies (deseeded if you don't want it too spicy), chopped
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g (3½ oz) frozen peas
- 250ml (8fl oz) boiling water
- Ketchup, to serve
For the mash
- 750g (1½ lb) floury potatoes, such as King Edwards, peeled
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 40ml (1½ fl oz) full-fat milk
- 40ml (1½ fl oz) double cream
- A light sprinkling of hot paprika
To make perfect lump-free mash, buy a potato ricer (which looks like a huge garlic press).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Chop the potatoes for the mash into small cubes and simmer in a pan of salted water until tender (10-15 mins), then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the onion, carrot and garlic until they are soft and golden brown. Add the cumin and cinnamon and fry for a few minutes until they're beautifully fragrant. Add the mince and brown it off, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
- Once the meat is well browned, pour in the tomatoes and tomato purée along with the ginger, chillies, vinegar and seasoning. Let the mixture bubble and cook for about 8 mins. Once the tomatoes have broken down, tumble in the peas, stir well, and then pour in the water. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 25 mins.
- Mash the potatoes, then beat in the butter and 2 egg yolks. Slowly pour in the milk and cream and mash again, ensuring you have a smooth, lump-free mash.
- Transfer the meat to a pie dish and smooth the mash on top. Cook in the oven for 20-30 mins until brown and crispy.
Buy Cook in Boots by Ravinder Bhogal from Amazon