Summer chicken pilaff
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, halved, deseeded and finely sliced
- ½tsp ground turmeric, optional
- 350g (12oz) basmati rice
- 600ml (1 pint) hot chicken stock
- Zest (in long shreds) and juice of 1 large orange
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ready-to-eat dried apricots, snipped into strips, or 100g (3½oz) sultanas
- About 400g (14oz) cooked chicken, shredded
- Good handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1tbsp roughly chopped unsalted pistachios
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook for 5 mins, until soft and pale. Add the chilli and turmeric, if using, and cook for another minute. Stir in basmati rice to coat it in the oil.
- Mix in the stock, orange juice, seasoning and apricots, or sultanas. Bring just to the boil, turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 18-20 mins, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice tender. Don't stir the rice during this time.
- When the rice is cooked, gently fork in the chicken, and season, and reheat for a minute or two.
- Just before serving, sprinkle in the parsley, orange zest and pistachios. Serve warm or cold. If serving cold, cool the rice, and then add the cold cooked chicken, parsley, zest and nuts. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 633(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.