Marinated paprika sea bass with avocado
For the tastiest bbq results, marinate this delicious avocado and paprika sea bass dish a couple of days in advance.
- 675g(1½ lb) sea bass fillets, cut into strips
- 450g (1lb) sea salt
- 400ml (13fl oz) olive oil
- 50g (2oz) cucumber cut into 3mm slices
- 75ml (3fl oz) soy sauce
- 4 ripe avocados, sliced
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 3tsp paprika
- 4tbsp avocado oil (or use olive oil)
- Sea salt to season
Lemon will stop the avocado from going black. You can also use ascorbic acid (vitamin C), available in pharmacies. A generous pinch of this stops the oxidation of the avocado, without adding a lemon flavour.
- Completely cover the bass fillets in coarse salt for 10 mins. Rinse the fillets in fresh water and dry with kitchen roll. Marinate in olive oil for at least 48 hrs.
- Marinate the cucumber in the soy sauce for half an hour - for best results, marinate overnight.
- Half fill a 8cm x 2cm x 2cm (or mini loaf) tin with thin slices of avocado sprinkled with lemon juice. Cover with the sea bass strips, season generously with paprika, then cover with more avocado sprinkled with lemon to fill the tin. Cover with cling film, press to settle, place a weight over the top of the tin and set aside in a cool place for 1 hr.
- Make dressing by mixing the avocado oil, the remaining paprika, 2 drops of lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. To serve, carefully turn out the tin and cut into individual portions, dice the marinated cucumber slices and place on top. Finish by drizzling with paprika-seasoned oil.