Cheese and tomato bake
- 8 medium slices white bread, crusts removed
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 120g (4oz) mature or mild Cheddar cheese, grated
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 4 medium eggs
- 2tbsp pesto
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
We’ve used this recipe in our credit crunch meal planner. Click here to go back to week one of the planner.
Make a loaf of bread last longer by freezing it on the day of purchase. Wrap the bread in a freezer bag, get rid of any air and seal.
- Set the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Cut the slices of bread in half diagonally and arrange them in an ovenproof dish. Insert sliced tomato between the bread. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Measure the milk into a jug and add the eggs, pesto and seasoning. Whisk them together with a fork. Pour the mixture over the bread. Leave for about 5-10 mins, for the bread to soak up some of the liquid.
- Place the dish in the centre of the oven and bake for 20-30 mins, or until the bake is golden in colour and feels set to the touch when pressed lightly in the centre. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 481(kcal)
- Fat 26.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.