- 125g (4oz) butter
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 4 medium eggs
For the filling
- 250-350g (812oz) strawberries
- 2 x 284ml pots double cream
- 2 level tbsp icing sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
For the decoration
- 90125g (34oz) plain chocolateflavour cake covering
- Large piping bag
- 1.5cm (5/8in) large, plain piping tube
- 2 baking sheets, with nonstick liners or baking parchment
- Large star piping tube
- Small disposable piping bag
Sue's tip: 'These are best eaten within a couple of hours of filling, otherwise the pastry starts to go soft.'
- Set the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C.
- Place butter in a pan and add 300ml (½ pint) water. Heat gently to melt butter. Increase heat and bring to a rapid boil. Take pan off heat and, working quickly, tip in flour. Beat until mixture forms a ball, then set aside for the mixture to cool until it's lukewarm.
- Beat the eggs, one at a time, into the mixture, to give a soft dropping consistency.
- Fit large piping bag with the large, plain piping tube, and fill with the choux mixture. Pipe ring shapes, about 8cm (3¼in) in diameter, on to the baking sheets.
- Bake rings for 15 mins, then reduce oven to gas mark 5 or 190°C, and cook for a further 15-20 mins, or until the mixture is risen and golden.
- Remove baking sheets from the oven and pierce each of the pastries with a fine skewer to allow the steam to escape. Return them to the oven to cook for a further 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice rings in half widthways and scoop out soft centres.
- To make the filling: Slice strawberries. Pour cream into a bowl and add icing sugar and vanilla. Whisk until just forming soft peaks. Fit the large piping bag with the star piping tube and fill with cream. Pipe a swirl of cream into each choux base ring. Arrange a layer of strawberries on top. Replace the top of each pastry, and press down slightly.
- Melt cake covering in a microwave or over a pan of hot water. Use to fill the small piping bag. Cut off end of bag to give a small hole. Pipe lines of chocolate over pastries and leave in a cool place for a few minutes for chocolate to set before serving. (Not suitable for freezing)
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 375(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
- Saturates 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.