Lemon cake is delicious, quick and easy to make and this lemon cake recipe is a real winner. It's difficult not to gobble this delicious lemon cake down as soon as you've made it - but try to freeze a few slices for tomorrow! Another great cake from Woman's Weekly. This delicious, quick and easy lemon sponge cake recipe is a real winner. Infused with fresh lemons and topped with a sweet lemon curd buttercream. This cake serves 12 people and will take around 35 mins to bake plus cooling and decorating time. Store any leftover lemon cake in an airtight container for up to 2 days. This sponge cake recipe would work just as well with other citrus fruits instead. Try orange or lime.
Sue's tip: Freeze cake at the end of step 5. Allow the cake to defrost before filling and frosting.
IngredientsFor the lemon cake:
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- Finely zested rind of 2 lemons
- 4 level tbsp caster sugar
- 4tbsp water
- Juice 2 lemons
For the lemon filling:
- 3 level tbsp lemon curd
For the lemon frosting:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- 4 level tbsp lemon curd
- Pinch of salt
- 2 x 18cm solid base sandwich tins, buttered and base-lined
- Set the oven to 180°C.
- To make the cake: Beat the butter. Add the remaining ingredients to it and beat until smooth. Divide mixture between sandwich tins, and level surface.
- Bake cakes in the centre of oven for 30-35 mins, or until they have risen and feel just firm to the touch in the centre.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup: Pour 4tbsp water into a small pan; add sugar. Place pan on a low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring mixture to the boil; boil rapidly for 1 min, then remove pan from heat and add lemon juice.
- When cakes are cooked, remove from oven and pour syrup over each one. Leave cakes in tins for about 10 minutes until syrup has soaked in, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally, to give 4 layers in total. Sandwich together with 1tbsp lemon curd spread between each layer.
- To make the frosting: Beat butter until very soft, then add remaining ingredients and beat well until fluffy. Spread over the top and sides of the cake.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 540(kcal)
- Fat 29.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.