Smoked trout and horseradish pate
For the pate2 x 125g packets smoked trout fillets
- (hot smoked)100g (3˝oz) fullfat cream cheese
- 4 level tbsp mayonnaise
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tbsp horseradish sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the croustades
- 1 ciabattastyle baguette
- 23tbsp olive oil
- Lemon slices, to garnish
- Cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumber, to serve
- Baking sheet
'Hot' smoked trout is usually served with the skin removed, and the head and tail either on or off as preferred. Vacum-packed fillets are also available from most supermarkets.
- To make the pâté: Break the trout into small pieces. Place in a food processor, with rest of ingredients and whizz until smooth. Spoon mixture into a small bowl, and keep it chilled until serving.
- To make the croustades: Set oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C.
- Cut the baguette into 1cm (˝in) thick slices and brush a little olive oil on each side and then arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the centre of the oven and bake for 8-10 mins, until they are light golden. Remove from the oven and turn the slices over and return them to the oven for a further 3-5 mins until the other side is also light golden.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and slide the croustades on to a wire rack to cool. Once cold, croustades can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Garnish the pâté with lemon slices, and grind over some black pepper before serving. Serve the pâté spread on the croustades, accompanied with cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumber (not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings and does not include the 'To serve' suggestion
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 377(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.