1st birthday cake
IngredientsFor the birthday cake:
- Number 1 cut out of 33cm x 25cm (13in x 10in) sponge cake
- 6-8tbsp sieved apricot jam
- 1kg (2lb) blue sugarpaste
- 250g (8oz) pink sugarpaste
- Dolly mixtures
- Icing smoother or side scraper
- Cake board
- Letters for inscription to be cut out of baking parchment as templates
- 2.5cm(1in) star cutter
If you use fruit cake you will need to cover it in marzipan before the sugarpaste.
- Place the cut out cake on a cake board. Spread 4-5 tablespoons of apricot jam over the top and sides of the cake. Cover the cake with the blue sugarpaste, as shown in our video or gallery, easing in the fullness at the corners and polishing smooth with a smoother or side scraper.
- While the blue sugarpaste is still soft, position the templates for the name on top of the cake. Using a small sharp knife, carefully cut out the letters and gently peel them off the cake. Using the star cutter cut out 6 stars as shown on the finished cake. Discard the blue sugarpaste that has been taken off the cake as it will have crumbs on it.
- Working on one letter at a time, roll out pieces of the pink sugarpaste to the same thickness as the sugarpaste covering the cake. Position one of the letter templates on this pink sugarpaste and cut out the letter. Remove the template, lift the letter and postion it in the correct space on the cake. Rub over the top with your finger to level the surface. Repeat with the other letters and the star shapes. Dip one side of each dolly mixture into a little apricot jam and stick to the side of the cake.