Sausage and bacon mustard hotdogs
Instead of traditional hotdogs, serve these sausage and bacon mustard wraps with caramelised onions at your next barbecue.
- 4 thin sausages
- 12 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 4 small white bread rolls, split in half
- Dijon mustard, to spread
- Watercress, to serve
For the caramelised onions
- 12 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 55g (2oz) soft brown sugar
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Store any excess caramelised onions in a kilner jar (rubber-sealed, screw-topped jar) for later use.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5).
- Brush each sausage generously with the Dijon mustard. Wrap a rasher of streaky bacon around each sausage and then place on a non-stick baking tray.
- Season with a little salt and pepper and bake the sausage wraps for approximately 20-25 mins, turning occasionally, until the sausages are cooked through and the bacon is crispy.
- Meanwhile, for the caramelised onions, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes, to soften. Add the sugar, vinegar and seasoning and cook on a low heat for a further 10-15 mins until the onions are caramelised.
- Spread a little Dijon mustard onto the bread rolls and scatter with watercress. Remove the sausage wraps from the oven and arrange on top.
- Remove the caramelised onions from the heat, spoon on top of the sausages then serve.