Quinoa, feta and broccoli salad
Celeb chef Jo adds quinoa, a super-healthy South American protein, to this tasty salad with feta cheese, broccoli and pomegranate. Quinoa is a super healthy grain thanks to its rich protein content and high fibre and iron content. Broccoli is a great addition to this dish thanks to its high content of vitamin C and vitamin K, as well as folate and dietary fibre. Adding creamy feta gives a great salty and smooth addition to the crunchy broccoli and combines really well with the rest of the ingredients to make this salad so delicious. Give it a got this week for a tasty lunch or dinner recipe and yhou won’t be disappointed.
- 300g quinoa
- 200g pack broccoli
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large handful of pumpkin seeds
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 1 large handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 3tbsp extravirgin olive oil
- 3tbsp lemon juice
Jo says: 'I've used quinoa as a super healthy substitute to couscous or bulgur wheat. Not only is this a lovely midweek masterpiece, it's also fantastic to eat al fresco as part of a picnic or 'al desko' as part of your working lunch.'
- To make this superfood recipe, cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions. Leave to cool in a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, the broccoli can be cut into small bite-size pieces and either lightly steamed or boiled, until just tender (4-5 mins will be about right) and also left to cool.
- Heat a small frying pan and lightly toast the pumpkin seeds until they are slightly crunchy. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Once the quinoa and broccoli are cool, stir together along with the feta, pomegranate seeds, herbs, tomato, spring onions, olive oil and lemon juice. Season with a little salt, (the feta cheese will add a salty flavour) and a good twist of black pepper. Toss together until everything is combined and either serve straight away or keep in the fridge.