Lemon cream with a berry compote
Prep time:(includes cooling time)
Costs: Cheap as chips
This cheap and impressive pudding comes straight from the BBC2 show Economy Gastronomy - perfect for when friends come over for dinner
For the lemon cream:
- 600ml double cream
- 250g caster sugar
- The juice and zest of 5 lemons
For the berry compote:
- 400g fresh or defrosted berries
- 150g caster sugar
Pick berries in season, freeze them and use them all year round.
- To make the lemon cream, put the double cream in a thick-based pan and bring to boiling point. Add the sugar, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the lemon juice and zest and, while the cream is simmering, stir for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and allow to stand and cool for 10 minutes, then pour the lemony cream into glasses and set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place the berries and sugar in a pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and cool - job done.
- Serve a small pot of the berry compote next to each glass of lemon cream or spoon over the top. Shortbread would round things off nicely.