Hairy Bikers' Somerset chicken
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The Hairy Bikers have given us recipes from their 'Food Tour of Britain' series. Try their utterly delicious Somerset chicken recipe from episode 13.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 75g butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4tbsp plain flour
- 2tbsp grain mustard
- 2 dessert apples, peeled and sliced into batons
- 110g button mushrooms, sliced
- 250ml chicken stock
- 300ml cider
- 250ml double cream
- 1tbsp finely chopped sage leaves
- 300g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 baked potatoes
Top tip: Cook your chicken to perfection using our instant chicken timer
- To make this chicken breast recipe, preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large saute pan and add 2tbsp of the oil and 50g of the butter.
- Fry the chicken breasts in batches for 1-2 mins on each side until golden. Put them into a deep-sided oven tray and roast for 25 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and cook the onions for 4-5 mins until softened but not coloured. Add the flour and mustard to the pan and cook for another 2 mins. Add the apples and button mushrooms and cook for 1 min. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil, then pour in the cider. Bring back to the boil and cook for 5 mins. Add the cream and sage, cook for another 5 mins, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and pour the sauce into the dish to cover the chicken completely. Preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and place under the grill for 5 mins until the cheese is melted, golden and bubbling. Serve with jacket potatoes topped with a knob of butter.
This recipe is from The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain, £20 from Weidenfeld & Nicolson.
The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain is available from Amazon.co.uk