Levi Roots' hot hot prawn curry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You can make this thick curry, from Levi's BBC2 programme, Caribbean Food Made Easy, as mild or as hot as you like but it's meant to be hot!
- 800g (1lb 12oz) waxy potatoes, such as Desirée, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1tbsp sunflower or ground-nut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6cm (2½in) piece of root ginger, finely chopped
- 2tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 hot red chilli (ideally Scotch bonnet), finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- ½ x 420g can chopped tomatoes
- 300g (10½oz) cooked peeled king prawns
- 2tbsp torn fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Boiled rice and green salad, to serve
Depending on your tolerance for heat, either chuck all the chilli seeds, keep half, or be brave and put all of them in the sauce. I go for half the seeds for this dish.Levi Roots
- Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins, until part cooked. Drain. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a big saucepan and fry the onion, garlic and ginger over a low heat until soft. Stir in the all-purpose seasoning and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chilli and as many of its seeds as you dare, along with the pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the part-cooked potatoes and the tomatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and the sauce is nice and thick (about 10 mins).
- Add the prawns and heat through in the sauce (about 3 mins). Season with salt to taste and garnish with the chopped coriander. Serve with rice and salad.
Caribbean Food Made Easy is on BBC2 on Mondays from 24th August 2009 at 7.30pm. This recipe is taken from Levi Roots' book Caribbean Food Made Easy, £17.99, Mitchell Beazley.Caribbean Food Made Easy is available to buy from Amazon.co.uk