Vegetarian hot and sour soup
Skill level: Bit of effort
Our tasty meat-free, Oriental-style tofu broth with exotic mushrooms, red chillies and marinated tofu is perfect for veggies who like their food hot.
- 5g dried porcini mushrooms
- 50g fresh Shiitake mushrooms
- 1.2l vegetable stock
- 225g tinned bamboo shoots, drained and shredded
- 225g ready marinated tofu, cut into thin strips
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 3tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2tbsp shoyu
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 4tbsp water
- 2tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, shredded
Top tip: Add in a squeeze of lime juice for extra flavour and that authentic, Oriental hot-and-sour kick!
- Soak the dried porcini in hot water for 15 mins. Drain and strain liquid through muslin or kitchen paper and reserve. Wash and slice the porcini.
- Remove and discard the stalks of the Shiitake mushrooms. Slice the remaining cups.
- In a saucepan mix the reserved mushroom liquid with the stock, add the sliced porcini and shiitake and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Add bamboo shoots, tofu and chillies and simmer for further 5 mins. Add the vinegar and shoyu.
- Mix the cornflour with a little water into a paste, add to soup stirring all the time, simmer until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat, season with the sesame oil and garnish with shredded spring onion.