Black Forest trifle
Prep time:(plus chilling time)
- 425g can black cherries in syrup
- 250g chocolate finger cakes or marble cake
- 4 tbsps kirsch
- 100g bar plain chocolate
- 500g pot vanilla custard
- 284ml pot double cream
- 142ml pot single cream 1
- tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Make this the day before for an easy party dessert.
- Drain the cherries in a sieve over a bowl and reserve the syrup. Set the cherries aside.
- Arrange half the finger cakes in the base of a large trifle bowl, breaking them in half as you put them in. Spoon over 6 tablespoons of kirsch. Scatter half the cherries over.
- Grate about 2 tablespoons of chocolate from the bar. Set aside for decoration.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate in a bowl, in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water. Then warm the custard through for a minute until just warmed, stirring half way through.
- Mix the melted chocolate into the warm custard and beat well. Chill for 10 mins or longer.
- Whip the double cream and single cream together with the sugar and vanilla, until just thickened. Spoon about a third of the mixture over the cherries. Add the rest of the cake, broken in halves, spoon over 2 more tablespoons of the cherry syrup and 1 tablespoon of kirsch, then add the rest of the cherries.
- Spoon the chocolate custard over, then add spoonfuls of cream on top. Sprinkle with grated chocolate. Chill until ready to serve