Easy sausage and potato casserole
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This cheap and easy sausage casserole is comfort food at its best. Not only is it filling, it's simple, uses just six ingredients and the kids will love it too! This recipe serves 4 people and will take approximately 35 mins to prepare and cook, so you won't have to be in the kitchen for long to prepare this delicious dish. This recipe for sausage casserole is perfect if you're on a budget or feeding a lot of people in one go, as the ingredients are cheap, and you only six ingredients to make it: oil, new potatoes, sausages, onion, green pepper and tomato pasta sauce. It cuts down washing up as the casserole is made in just one pot - we always a quick and easy recipe that means we won't have to lots of washing up after! This easy sausage casserole recipe uses readymade sauce but you could swap it for homemade instead, if you want to give it an extra special touch and invest more time in it. Using shop-bought sauce speeds up the cooking and prep time which is perfect if you're in a hurry or something quick and easy for a mid-week dinner.
- 1tbsp oil
- 500g new potatoes, halved
- 454g pack sausages
- 1 onion, sliced (200g)
- 1 green pepper, diced (170g)
- 340g jar tomato pasta sauce
Top tip: To prevent potatoes from sprouting, put an apple in the bag with the potatoes, I have no idea how it works but I promise it does!Sally Carpenter, 69, Redditch, Worcestershire
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the potatoes and sausages for 5 mins.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook for a further 5 mins, turning the sausages occasionally until browned.
- Add the pasta sauce, rinse the jar out with a splash of water and add to the pan. Cook, covered for 5 mins.
Learn how to make our classic sausage casserole with our best sausage casserole recipe