Mini lemon drizzle cakes
- 120g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 170g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 170g caster sugar
- 60ml milk
- Zest of two lemons
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 100g icing sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- 10ml of gin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease 12 mini loaf holes or one 1lb loaf tin.
- Let the butter soften at room temperature.
- Place the soft butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer and whisk until palel and fluffy.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and add the milk, lightly loosen with a fork.
- Add the eggs a bit at a time to the creamed butter mixture and mix well after each addition.
- Sift the baking powder and flour into over the creamed butter mixture, add the lemon zest and lightly fold the flour in.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared moulds and bake the mini loafs for 18 - 20 minutes or 1 hour for the large 1lb loaf tin. Test if the loaf is cooked by inserting a metal skewer, if the skewer comes out clean then the loaf is cooked, if it's still wet return the loaf to the oven and continue cooking.
- Once cooked let the loaf rest for 5 minutes in the mould before turning it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely before glazing with the drizzle.
- Sift the icing sugar in to a small mixing bowl, add the lemon juice and gin and stir.
- Turn the mini loafs the right way up standing on the cooling rack and place a baking sheet below to catch any of the drippings of the drizzle.
- Spoon the drizzle over the mini loafs or one large loaf, leave to set at room temperature. Do not refrigerate as the sugar is hygroscopic and will remain runny as it continue extracting moisture from the fridge.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.