Butterbean and bacon soup
- 1tbsp light olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon,chopped
- 1 ham or chicken stock cube
- 2 x 400-420g cans butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the garnish:
- 2 rashers smoked streaky bacon,stretched and cut into short lengths
- 4 fresh sage leaves, optional
- Oil for frying, optional
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: The cold soup can be frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the soup to defrost before reheating it thoroughly. The garnish is not suitable for freezing.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and then add the onion. Cook the onion over a medium heat for 5 mins until it starts to soften, then add the chopped bacon to the pan. Cook for a further 4-5 mins, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Pour 750ml (1¼ pints) water intothe saucepan and crumble in the stock cube and bring to the boil, stirring until the stock cube has dissolved. Add the butterbeans, then bring the mixture to the boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat slightly. Simmer the soup for about 20-30 mins.
- Remove the pan from the heat andadd the chopped sage, then purée the soup either using a liquidiser, a food processor or a stick blender, and season the soup to taste. If soup is too thick, add a little extra boiling water.
- For the garnish, fry the rashers of bacon until crisp and cut into pieces. If liked, fry sage leaves in hot oil for a few seconds until they are crisp, then drain.
- Re-warm the soup if necessary and pour it into serving bowls. Scatter bacon on top, and sage leaves, if using.
There are more unmissable recipes in this week's Woman'sWeekly, on sale every Wednesday, only 82p! Subscribe today to Woman’s Weekly and get 28% off!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 380(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.