Spinach soup with horseradish cream
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This spinach soup with horseradish is so easy and healthy too. Packed with spinach and topped with a delicious creamy horseradish sauce, this vegetarian soup is a guaranteed hit. This healthy soup counts towards your 5-a-day and is a great way to make sure you get a hit of iron and vitamins in the your diet. The richness of the spinach and the creaminess of the horseradish really do work wonders together to make this healthy soup the perfect option as a filling lunch or light dinner. A portion of this soup works out at only 290 calories per serving. This recipe serves around 3-4 people and any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge or in the freezer. Serve with crusty bread.
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 500ml (16fl oz) milk
- 400-500g bag washed spinach
- 1tbsp horseradish sauce
- 4tbsp double cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: The cold soup can be packed into a suitable container and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the soup to defrost before reheating it thoroughly. The horseradish cream is not suitable for freezing.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion. Cook the onion over a medium heat for about 5 mins until it softens but not colours, stirring occasionally. Add the potato to the pan and cook it for about a further 5 mins.
- Pour in 500ml (16fl oz) water and crumble in the stock cube. Bring the mixture to the boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat, and simmer it for about 15-20 mins, or until the potato has softened.
- Add milk to the pan. Bring the mixture back to boil. Add the spinach to the pan and cook for about 5 mins,until spinach has wilted, then remove pan from the heat.
- Purée the soup using a liquidiser, food processor or stick blender. Season the soup to taste and add some nutmeg.
- To make the topping, stir the horseradish sauce into the cream.
- Reheat the soup if necessary and pour it into serving dishes. Swirl cream over top. Grate over a little extra nutmeg before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 290(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
- Saturates 8.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.