The cold soup may be packed into a suitable container and frozen for up to 1month. Allow the soup to defrost before reheating it thoroughly. The garnish is not suitable for freezing.
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red or green chilli, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 250g (8oz) minced beef
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300-400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1-2 cubes dark chocolate
- 1tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- A few nacho chips
- 4dsp soured cream
- 30g (1oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook it over a medium heat for 4-5 mins, stirring it occasionally. Add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 mins. Add the minced beef to the pan and cook for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally until the meat has browned.
- Pour 600ml (1 pint) water into the pan and add the chopped tomatoes and kidney beans. Crumble in the stock cube and stir until it’s dissolved. Bring the mixture to the boil, then cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer the soup gently for 20-30 mins.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate. Stir until it melts and then stir in the coriander and season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls, pushing the meat towards the centre of the bowl. Place a small pile of nacho chips in the centre, so they rest on the meat, and then spoon some soured cream on top and scatter over some grated Cheddar. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 381(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.