Broccoli and Stilton soup
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Broccoli and Stilton soup is a classic creamy soup that's just the perfect dish for a cold day. This classic vegetarian soup is a delicious winter warmer - and freezable too - making it ideal for storing away to use as a delicious lunch or dinner days when you're too tired to cook. This tasty Stilton and broccoli soup works out at only 366 calories per serving, which for a rich and indulgently flavoured soup is pretty good we think! It serves 4-5 people and will take only 35 mins in total to make, so it’s a quick soup recipe too. If you're feeling really hungry, you can serve this up with fresh crusty bread to help you fill up. And don't worry about anyone who finds Stilton a bit overpowering - paired with the creamy broccoli, this soup is mild and mellow, so even those who think they don't like blue cheese will absolutely love it. The two ingredients work really well together, so this a creamy soup that you’ll want to make time and time again. If you love Stilton, feel free to crumble more in, but just be aware that you might up the calories if you do that. Make this delicious broccoli and Stilton soup in well under an hour for a fab recipe that works just as well as a dinner party starter as it does as a stand alone meal!
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) vegetable stock
- 500g (1lb) broccoli, roughly chopped
- 125g (4oz) mature Stilton
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pine nuts and crème fraiche to garnish
Woman's Weekly's Sue McMahon says: Slice the broccoli stalks thinly so that they cook quickly - if they need to be cooked for longer to soften them, the soup will be duller in colour.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion. Cook over a medium heat for about 5-7 mins, or until the onion starts to soften but not colour.
- Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for about 5 mins.
- Add the broccoli to the pan, bring to the boil and cook for a further 4-5 mins, until the broccoli is just tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and crumble in half the Stilton. Purée the soup in a liquidiser, food processor or with a stick blender until smooth. Season the soup to taste.
- Spread 4 mini bruschetta with Stilton and crumble rest of cheese. Pour soup into 4 serving bowls, garnish with pine nuts and crème fraiche. Scatter remaining cheese on top, so that it melts into soup as you’re eating it.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 366(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.