Broccoli and Stilton soup
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Broccoli and Stilton soup is a classic creamy soup that's perfect for a cold day. Topped with mini Stilton bruschetta, this classic vegetarian soup is a delicious winter warmer - and freezable too. Follow along in our easy step-by-step video. This delicious soup works out at only 366 calories per serving. It serves 4-5 people and will take only 35 mins in total to make. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy in the colder months tucked up in front of a roaring fire. For anyone who finds Stilton a bit overpowering, but paired with the creamy broccoli, this soup is a taste sensation with these two ingredients working so well together. If you love Stilton, feel free to crumble more in, but just be aware that you might up the calories if you do that! Make this delicious broccoli and Stilton soup in well under an hour for a fab recipe that works just as well as a dinner party starter as it does as a stand alone meal!
Woman's Weekly's Sue McMahon says: Slice the broccoli stalks thinly so that they cook quickly - if they need to be cooked for longer to soften them, the soup will be duller in colour.
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) vegetable stock
- 500g (1lb) broccoli, roughly chopped
- 125g (4oz) mature Stilton
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 mini bruschetta
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion. Cook over a medium heat for about 5-7 mins, or until the onion starts to soften but not colour.
- Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for about 5 mins.
- Add the broccoli to the pan, bring to the boil and cook for a further 4-5 mins, until the broccoli is just tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and crumble in half the Stilton. Purée the soup in a liquidiser, food processor or with a stick blender until smooth. Season the soup to taste.
- Spread 4 mini bruschetta with Stilton and crumble rest of cheese. Pour soup into 4 serving bowls, place a Stilton-topped bruschetta on top of each. Scatter remaining cheese on top, so that it melts into soup as you’re eating it.
Like this? You should try our classic broccoli soup recipe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 366(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.