Phil Vickery's millionaire's shortbread
Cooking time:(Chilling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Millionaire's shortbread is a favourite - combining decadent layers of shortbread with caramel and chocolate - this recipe's easy to make too! Follow along in our easy step-by-step recipe video to see how it is done.
Why not make mini Millionaires – simply place into a 20cm (8") and cut into 20 squares, perfect for a picnic or party
- 200g (7oz) shortbread biscuits, crushed
- 25g (1oz) butter, melted
- 150g (5½ oz) butter
- 150g (5½ oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
- 200g (7oz) milk or dark chocolate, melted
You will also need:
- 18cm (7in) square brownie tin, lined with baking parchment
- Mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter and then lightly press the mixture into the tin to make an even layer. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Place the butter and sugar into a non-stick pan and stir over a medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. To make a golden caramel, add the condensed milk, stirring continuously, until the first bubbles appear on the surface. Remove from the heat as soon as it comes to the boil.
- Spread the caramel evenly over the crumb base and then cool and chill for about half an hour. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel, smoothing to the edges.
- When the chocolate has hardened a little, cut your Millionaire's shortbread up into squares.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 433(kcal)
- Fat 24.3g
- Saturates 15.4g
- Sugars 43.3g
- Salt 0.4g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.