Toffee apple tarts
Skill level: Bit of effort
Make these easy toffee apple tarts for a sweet and satisfying dessert, or to have as a cheeky Sunday pick-me up with a cuppa. To make these little pieces of heaven, simply follow our step-by-step guide that will take you through everything you need to do to have these toffee apple tarts on your coffee table in no time. These tarts are individual so they’re a perfect alternative to a normal apple tart if you’re worried about having enough for your entire party. These little toffee apple tarts only take 20 minutes of preparation and 15 minutes in the oven, so you won’t have to slave away all day in the kitchen. But just because they don’t take hours to make doesn’t mean they’re not delicious – we promise they’ll leave everyone wanting more. With a delicious almond filling with caramel, these toffee apple tarts will certainly please any sweet-tooth. To finish off these delicious toffee apple tarts, sprinkle with caster sugar and serve them with Greek or natural yoghurt. If you’re in the mood for something a bit more indulgent, swap yoghurt for vanilla ice cream. Go on, treat yourself…
Top tip: You can use the almond filling to stuff baked apples. Simply core 4 small Bramley cooking apples and place in a small dish. Stuff each one with a little of the almond filling and dot with butter. Bake in the oven at 200ŗC (400ŗF, gas mark 6) for about 30 mins. Beat 5–6 tbsp Carnation Caramel, trickle over and serve with custard.
IngredientsFor the almond filling:
- 25g (1oz) butter, softened
- 55g (2oz) ground almonds
- 397g can caramel
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg, to glaze
- 3 fun-size red dessert apples
- Small knob butter, melted
- Caster sugar, to sprinkle
- Greek or natural yogurt, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200ŗC (400ŗF, gas mark 6).
- Put the softened butter into a bowl with the ground almonds and 2tbsp caramel. Beat thoroughly together. Unroll the pastry and, using small plate or bowl, cut out 6 circles 12cm (4½in) in diameter.
- Place the circles on a non-stick baking tray. Fork over the centres of the pastry circles.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg, but not quite to the edges. Divide the caramel mixture between the pastry circles, placing spoonfuls in the centre of each tart. Core the apples, halve and slice thinly. Arrange the apple slices over the almond filling. Brush with a little melted butter and a little caster sugar over each tart.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins until the pastry is well-risen and golden brown. Beat a couple of tablespoons of caramel until smooth and trickle over each tart. Serve with the yogurt.
This recipe is brought to you in association with CARNATION®
Why not also try our classic French apple tart recipe?
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.