Skill level: Bit of effort
With their crumbly biscuit base, gooey caramel centre and white chocolate topping, these caramel cakes will go down very well at a party - or as a naughty treat!
IngredientsFor the base:
- 200g (7oz) butter shortbread biscuits
- 25g (1oz) butter, melted
- For the filling
- 150g (5oz) butter
- 150g (5oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
- 250g (9oz) white chocolate, melted
- You will also need:
- A 20cm (8”) square brownie tin, lined with baking parchment
- To make the base, process the biscuits until they are like crumbs, then stir in the melted butter. Spoon this mixture into the tin and, very lightly, press to make an even layer. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Place the butter and sugar in a non-stick saucepan over a low heat, and stir until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Add the condensed milk and bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously, to make a golden caramel. As soon as it comes to the boil, remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Spoon the caramel over the crumb base in an even layer. Pour the melted white chocolate over the caramel, spreading it out to the edges.
- When the chocolate has hardened a little, but before it has set hard, cut into slices, and enjoy with a cup of coffee.
This recipe is brought to you in association with CARNATION®
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 342(kcal)
- Fat 19.2g
- Saturates 12.1g
- Sugars 34.5g
- Salt 0.3g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.