Prep time:(plus chilling time)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Pecan pie is a classic American pastry tart filled with a buttery syrup and packed with pecan nuts, which is traditionally served for Thanksgiving. We think our pecan pie recipe is delicious served with vanilla ice cream or clotted cream for an extra special dessert once the nights start getting cooler and autumn draws in. You could also make individual pecan tarts if liked, just cook them a little less and use minature pie tins. If you want a more earthy flavour you could use half maple syrup and half golden syrup, this will make your pie deliciously dark and rich.
IngredientsFor the pastry case
- 150g plain flour
- 75g butter
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 150ml golden syrup
- 50g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 250g pecans
- 3 eggs
This is a great dessert to make in advance; it will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge or can even be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Make the pastry: place the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar and 50ml ice cold water. Bring the dough together to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 20 cm fluted, loose bottom flan tin. Trim the edges with a knife.
- Line the pastry case with a circle of baking parchment and fill with baking beans then bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and parchment and return the tart case to the oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden and dry to the touch.
- To make the filling: heat the syrup, butter, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute, stir in 200g of the pecans and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix the cooled syrup with the eggs. Pour into the pastry case. Finely chop the remaining nuts and sprinkle on top.
- Place the pie in the centre of the oven. Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the filling is just set in the middle. Leave to cool before serving.