Chocolate caramel fingers
IngredientsFor the base:
- 125g (4oz) butter, softened
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 2 level tablespoons cocoa
- 250g (8oz) butter
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 4 level tablespoons golden syrup
- 397-405g can condensed milk
- 75-100g (2½-3½oz) dark chocolate-flavour cake covering, or chocolate, melted
- 28 x 18cm (11 x 7in) oblong tin, lined with baking parchment
- Small baking parchment
- piping bag
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- To make the base: Measure all the ingredients into a bowl and work to a firm dough. Alternatively, whizz together in a food processor until the ingredients just bind together. Press into the base of the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 mins, until firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the filling: Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave oven on full power for 1-2 mins. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook for 1 min at a time, stirring well after each minute, until the mixture turns a golden caramel colour - this will take about 8-12 mins, depending on the power of the microwave. If you don’t have a microwave, then melt the butter in a saucepan and add the remaining ingredients for the filling and heat gently until dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring, for 8-10 mins. Cool the mixture slightly, then pour over the base. Leave to cool and set. Remove from the tin and cut in half lengthways, then cut each section into 8-9 fingers.
- To decorate: Fill the piping bag with melted chocolate flavour cake covering or chocolate. Cut the end off the bag to give a small hole, then pipe a zigzag design over the top of each shortbread finger. Leave to set before serving.
- The shortbreads will keep in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
There are more unmissable recipes in this week's Woman's Weekly, on sale every Wednesday, only 82p! Subscribe today to Woman's Weekly and get 28% off!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 341(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
- Saturates 21.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.